The National Museum of Science and Technology was founded in 1924 by the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, the Confederation of Swedish Enterprise (formerly the Federation of Swedish Industries), the Swedish Inventors' Association and the Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers (formerly Svenska Teknologföreningen – roughly, the Swedish Association of Technologists). The building was designed in the functional style by Ragner Hjorth and was opened in 1936. The museum became a foundation in 1947 and since 1964 has operated with state funding.
The National Museum of Science and Technology, which is Sweden’s biggest museum of technology, has a national charter to be responsible for preserving our technological and industrial history cultural heritage. The galleries comprise around 10,000 m2 and the museum attracts around 170,000 visitors every year.
The museum’s collections consist of just over 50,000 objects and artefacts, 600 shelf metres of archival records and documents, 200,000 drawings, 620,000 images and just over 50,000 books. The National Museum of Science and Technology also documents technologies, processes, stories and memoirs in order to preserve them for posterity.